Not all companies believe in the need for social media in their marketing. This realization also affects many in the B2B sector. However, doing without social media carries risks for entrepreneurs. Because social media is not a fad and the absence of social channels represents a general loss of meaning and negative branding losses for companies. Is that really the case? And finally, are there any other reasons to invest resources in social media? We give the answer here.
Give Up Social Media? Business Vs. Private
As a private person, there can be good reasons to refrain from social media. There have been countless studies on how the function and structure of social media can affect their users, what consequences the free assessment of posts etc. has. But is that one-to-one comparable to the use of social media in business?
We say no.
However, companies should define social media as a strategic medium for marketing and sales. Then social media are relevant for the future and through digitization a constantly growing space for meeting and exchanging ideas with your customers; the potential ones as well as the existing ones.
Why Do Companies Avoid Social Media?
5 namable reasons can be in the foreground when turning away:
- Entrepreneurs distrust social media, derived from experiences or reservations from private contexts. However, anyone who privately refuses to appear on networks can present their company there only with little credibility. So social media is neglected in marketing.
- Entrepreneurs are afraid of shitstorms . The risk of that is there. However, rarely for companies that see social media as their own digital world. Those who know and follow the rules of the game minimize the risk of negative reactions.
- Entrepreneurs have doubts about the effectiveness and importance of social media. Two backgrounds feed these doubts. On the one hand, unfortunately, many companies do not make any strategic considerations before appearing on social media. These example cases are then valid as proof of ineffectiveness. – On the other hand, many entrepreneurs simply cannot imagine that their customers also use social media for business purposes.
- Entrepreneurs are reluctant to make the necessary effort . Because yes, success on social media means continuous work. This requires a team and close coordination with the other departments in the company. But the rewards of that work are growing, as is the number of social media users around the world.
- Entrepreneurs start with false expectations. Digitization often creates the illusion that growth can be generated quickly and easily here. In essence, that’s true. It’s also true that digital success is more like a marathon. The company’s appearance must be planned, set up and continuously monitored. Reaping measurable success immediately after the first short sprint of a campaign on social media is the exception. Because this is about dialogue with interested parties and followers. Building a network doesn’t happen overnight. The traditional planning in self-portrayals and advertising campaigns does not work here.
What Advantages Does Social Media Offer In The Marketing Portfolio?
No matter how complex your social media presence is, the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. Here are the most significant, which are undeniable:
Large reach Probably the most important advantage that social media channels have to offer. User numbers in the millions offer huge potential. This is crucial for social media marketing, because hardly any other medium can reach so many people at once. On average, users spend 5 hours a week on social media platforms. In this way, marketers can reach their potential customers every day where they already are. And forward! That means more traffic for your website. And as a rule, that also means more leads for sales.
Target group-specific approach Conventional advertising is expensive. And releases that reach their target audience in any case are difficult to measure and therefore cannot be guaranteed. Social media channels allow you to reach your prospects more easily and quickly. This is where your posts and ads actually reach the users who are most likely interested in your products or services. The long-criticized wastage of marketing is significantly reduced here.
Search engine optimization An appearance in social media has a positive influence on your SEO. If content is distributed via social media platforms, so-called backlinks to the respective content can arise. The more backlinks that lead to a specific piece of content, the more relevant that content becomes for search engines and the higher your ranking will be. However, SEO ranking also takes into account the length of stay on a page or a content offer. If your social media offerings are of interest to users, visitors will also delve deeper into your site and stay there longer . Search engines recognize this and rate your presence on social media as valuable and relevant.
Measurability Digital campaigns can be evaluated. The success of your marketing can be measured quickly and easily. Tools like Google Analytics are just as useful for this purpose as integrated functions of marketing software like HubSpot. Detailed evaluations provide conclusions about what works and what can be improved. This uncomplicated evaluation is difficult to do in conventional media and gives social media marketing a unique selling point.
Interaction with customers Social media platforms are based on dialogue and you conduct it directly with customers here. Nowhere else can you get more direct feedback from your target audience. Burning customer questions or problems can also be perfectly addressed via social media channels. Live videos or story functions from platforms also offer the opportunity to demonstrate your products and how they work and to respond directly to questions and reactions. The answers, in turn, are also visible to other users. This can create great appreciation for your offer and your knowledge.
Also, most people would rather rely on the recommendations and opinions of like-minded people than on advertising messages. If your company’s content is well received, word will get around. Social media marketing makes it possible to get to know and understand customers better and to use this knowledge for corporate strategy.
Image Your company gets a new, personal face through social media, which you determine and align with the perception and needs of your target group. This is how authenticity is created. Combined with the wide reach of social networks, you ensure more presence and trust in your company.
Network Social media platforms make it easier than ever to reach customers. Because you don’t have to look for new customers, you can find them more casually in your activities. With the right strategy, you can attract many advocates and retain them for the long term. Social platforms create their own form of proximity to companies. The impression you make will be personal rather than promotional.
Increasing user numbers, increasing use on mobile devices and up to 5 hours a day: Marketing via social media has become an integral part of the modern marketing mix. Possible disadvantages are clearly outweighed by advantages and benefits.
Low costs, wide range and individual management and controlling options bring you very close to your customers. This is how you gain trust and foster brand loyalty. You can also gain invaluable insights into the personalities of your target group on social media.
Also Read: Keys Of The Instagram Company Profile